Product managers oversee the development process of a product from ideation to launch. They are a critical touchpoint in the process, ensuring business goals, customer needs, and technical feasibility are all met and in line.
To excel, a product manager must manage each stage of the product development process, collaborate with various stakeholders, and make data-driven and informed decisions. This requires a combination of technical and interpersonal skills.
So in order to help you identify the best product manager candidate in the interview process, we’ve identified more than 30 product manager interview questions that will help you get a good sense of the candidate’s personality and abilities! But first, let’s look into a couple of skills you’ll want to seek or affirm in the interview.
Product Manager Skills
When you hire a product manager, they’ll usually need to come ready with a set of skills to get the job done. An interview is a great time to talk about them! Here are some of the skills you’ll want to assess during the interview:
- Technical skills: They need to understand the technology of your products enough to communicate with engineers and developers.
- Data analysis: An effective product manager has to be able to analyze product usage, user feedback, and market trends to identify essential patterns, measure product success, and make data-driven decisions.
- Product management tools: Road mapping, research, and product management tools are essential for success.
- Planning and organization: They must maintain timelines and manage resources.
- Communication: Verbal and written communication allows them to get team members from different departments to follow through on a shared vision. It helps them share important details with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Problem-solving: Even the best plans encounter challenges, but good problem-solving skills help them develop creative solutions.
- Leadership and decision-making: Product managers must lead and inspire product teams and make informed decisions under pressure.
- Empathy and user focus: The product has to meet the customer’s need to succeed, so product managers must understand user needs and advocate for user-centric product design.
Top Product Manager Interview Questions
A successful product manager wears many hats. They will manifest business goals through technical implementation while keeping the user needs and market demands in mind.
Use these product manager interview questions to assess a candidate’s skills, strategy, and leadership abilities!
Product Manager Interview Questions: Experience and Strategy
- What’s your favorite product and why? What is something you would change about it?
- In your eyes, what differentiates a project manager from a product manager?
- In product development, what is a product manager’s most critical role?
- What do you find most rewarding about being a product manager?
- What criteria or metrics effectively measure when a product is well-designed?
- In the design process, how do you iterate based on feedback?
- Tell me about the most essential elements of a competitive analysis.
- What are the best strategies to determine the customer’s wants and needs?
- What strategies do you use to pinpoint user pain points and effective solutions for them?
- How do you prioritize features?
- How do you stay user-focused throughout the development process?
- Is it more important to finish a product on time or as planned?
- How do you keep tabs on your competitors and stay ahead of the curve?
- In a business plan, how do you define market opportunity?
- What do you see as the most exciting technology trends and why?
Product Manager Interview Questions: Leadership and Communication
- How would you describe our product to a customer?
- What is one A/B test you would use to improve our product?
- What strategies do you use to monitor performance and success?
- Tell me about how you guide a product development team from concept through launch.
- What strategies do you use as a new product manager to gain credibility with the development and engineering teams?
- Walk me through a time you had trouble building consensus. How did you overcome it?
- What would you need from the leadership and executive team to succeed in this position?
- Describe a time stakeholders disagreed over a product’s most important feature. How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you used data to influence a vital stakeholder.
Product Manager Interview Questions: Behavioral Questions
- What has been your most successful product as a product manager so far?
- Tell me about the hardest decision you’ve made as a product manager.
- Describe a situation where you had to say no to an important stakeholder or supervisor.
- Walk me through a time you had a disagreement or conflict with a coworker. How did you solve the problem?
- Tell me about a time when you missed a delivery deadline.
- How did you handle it when you’ve gotten negative user feedback on a product?
- Walk me through a situation when you used data to diagnose and solve a problem.
- What makes you a good teammate?
Hire a Product Manager with Ease
Product managers need to have a range of diverse skills, so use the interview to assess these complex skills and abilities!
As a people-first staffing agency, we know that the quality of your employees determines your company’s success. We can help make your hiring process easy, especially when it comes to finding quality product managers. We’ve found thousands for companies big and small in our 20+ years in business.
Connect with our team today to get started.
Hire a Product Manager with Insight Global
Questions? Call us toll-free: 855-485-8853